w h a t t o d o i n D C
FOR THE METRO RIDERS: *TWO RED LINE STATIONS WILL BE CLOSED THIS WEEKEND*
FOR THE ART LOVERS: The Hirshhorn is opening a 60-year retrospective of German artist Georg Baselitz, celebrating the artist’s 80th birthday. The exhibit, Baselitz: Six Decades, will bring together over 100 works spanning his career, including pieces never seen in the U.S. before. Trace the influence and development of his career. Through September 16.
FOR THE HISTORY FANS: Learn about apple cider, fizz, and Germany's influence on this drink.
FOR FANS OF (OR THOSE INTERESTED IN) ASIAN CULTURE: This weekend, Chinatown is hosting its Chinatown Community Festival. Think: street food from asian and pacific islander restaurants, henna, kimonos, rice drawing and more.
( & check out the Nanotak x ARTECHOUSE exhibit. Get your tickets now before they’re gone!)
FOR THE HIRSHHORN FANS: This weekend only, the Hirshhorn is hosting a "sound scene" with DC Listening Lounge. Think: Auditory sensory coupled with interactive art.
FOR THE FOLKS: The Smithsonian Folklife Festival is back on the National Mall. Stop by to watch the human tower, but stay for the Catalonia and Armenia fairgrounds on the Mall.
FOR THE COMEDIANS: Capital Laughs is back with Friday Night Laughs, a comedic showcase. Ticket prices range.
FOR THE BEER LOVERS: Port City is hosting a pub crawl in Old Town Alexandria.
**Oh, and the Capital Fringe Festival is going on ALL weekend**
t h i s a n d t h a t s
(home edition because we move in less than two weeks!)
w h a t I ' m r e a d i n g
- Glamour: The Fab Five's origin stories are just as great as you'd imagine.
- Vox: Everything you need to know about the on-going Thailand soccer team cave rescue
- Apartment Therapy: Looking at alllll the apartment inspo before we move on July 19!
- Slate: An in-depth look at the crash of Facebook and news sites.
- The Good Lemon: What fonts can you use? They asked designers.
- Bon Appetit: In defense of stealing restaurant pens.
- YouTube: A little primer in case you're somehow not obsessed with the #WhatTheFluffChallenge yet.
- Instagram: I'm obsessed with FedEx's instagram account.