Fine dining for vegans comes to H St with Fancy Radish.Read More
Being one of the only (if not the only) plant-based persons at holiday gatherings can be tough. I've been the only one at Thanksgiving with my family since I stopped eating meat about a decade ago. And back then, vegan was not trendy in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. (Ahem —aow a-days, there's an annual vegan Thanksgiving. )Read More
Vegan Apple Crumble
Guys, if anyone ever tells you that vegans only eat rabbit food, point them here. I’ve always been a huge fan of apple crisp/crumble, but never knew the right ratios to make it vegan. Then last year, I just went for it. I believe the correct word for this is ~soul cooking~. It turned out amazingly and I’ve been making it this way ever since!
Side note: Is it called crumble, crisp or cobbler?!
I asked my lovely insta-friends and the majority of them said CRISP. Woo. But I also consulted the almighty google, because I didn't know if there was an acutal difference or not. According to the internet (and like 50 recipes from my favorite foodie blogger, minimalist baker) what I made is a CRISP OR a CRUMBLE. Apparently, the two words are interchangeable, but originally, a crisp would contain oats but a crumble would not. Hmm. Also, cobbler should had biscuits on top. Shoutout to Kitchn + MyRecipes.com for helping me on their knowledge journey.
Honestly, though, I’m a huge believer in soul cooking, which is why all my ingredients and directions are approximate. Get creative, kids. This recipe is literally so super simple and takes 20 minutes of prep + 20 minutes of cooking.
- 4-5 local apples
- 1/2 cup CHILLED earth balance butter (or coconut oil!)
- 1 bag Nature’s Path Love Crunch Granola (if you’re GF, I’ve used THIS one from Purely Elizabeth with great success)
- Some shakes cinnamon
- 1-2 cups brown sugar
- a couple splashes of apple cider
- Optional: blueberries (I had some frozen in the freezer and thought why not?)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Slice all yo’ apples into thin slices. Or cube your apples. Whatever works for you.
3. Butter an 8x8 pan with a paper towel. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine apple slices, a HEAPING amount of cinnamon, two tablespoons of brown sugar, two tablespoons of melted butter + a splash or two of apple cider.
5. Use a large spatula to mix all ingredients.
6.Feel free to individually place each slice into the pan, arranging as obsessively as the glass jars of cookies in Kourtney K’s kitchen. BUT I JUST THROW IT ALL IN THERE BECAUSE I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR THAT.
6. Even out the apples so that they’re sort of settled across the pan.
7. In a small(er) bowl, combine CHILLED vegan butter, entire bag of granola + rest of brown sugar. Mix with your fingers until it’s grainy like sand.
8. Pour over top the apples. Spread evenly.
**optional** frozen blueberries on top.
9. Place in the oven for, like, 25 minutes. Just keep checking + tasting it. Then try to wait for it to cool, but if you're like me, you'll be burning your tongue from impatience.
AND THAT'S IT! Enjoy my wonderfuls and let me know below what you want to see next!