Being one of the only (if not the only) plant-based persons at holiday gatherings can be tough. I've been the only one at Thanksgiving with my family since I stopped eating meat about a decade ago. And back then, vegan was not trendy in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. (Ahem —aow a-days, there's an annual vegan Thanksgiving. )
Honestly, though, if it wasn't for my dad's insanely talented cooking skills, I probably would have eaten plain pasta for years.
So whether you're newly adapting to a plant-eating lifestyle, have friends and family that are vegan, or you're just looking to cut out some meat and dairy, I hope this guide helps you get there this holiday season.
I'm so thankful that I'm able to run this blog, share fellow plant-eater's recipes and (hopefully) fill your Thanksgiving with a few more vegetables.
SUBSTITUTIONS (print this out or save it to your phone!)
VEGAN THANKSGIVING RECIPES
- Savory Stuffing Rolls | Vegan Dad
- Sun-dried Tomato Bisque | Allyson Kramer
- Spinach Dip | Happy Healthy Human
- Creamy Mac N Cheese | Honestly, Though
- Gravy (because what is Thanksgiving without it) | What Would Cathy Eat
- My Famous Vegan Apple Crumble | Honestly, Though
- Candied Lime Sweet Potatoes | Vegan Yum Yum
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip | PETA
- Hassleback Squash | Thrive Market
- Sweet Potatoes & Broccolli in a Cheese Sauce | One Green Planet
- Grilled Fall Vegetable Bread Boat | Sweet, Simple Vegan
READY-MADE VEGAN OPTIONS
These are both buy in-store and order online
- Whole Foods | In hundreds of Whole Foods stores around the country, you can ORDER an entire Thanksgiving dinner (or just a few dishes). Use code VEGAN for $5 off.
- The original Tofurkey | Amazon
- Trader Joe's | They have TONS of frozen and fresh vegan-friendly options. Just look for the square with a V for Vegan.
- Sticky Fingers | Grab some of their ready-made sides or mains, and if you're lucky, you'll be able to snag one of their crazy popular pies.
- Founding Farmers | Order their Thanksgiving To-Go by November 19!
- Sweet Earth Foods | A ton of frozen options that are perfect as a back-up or for "just in case." I swear by their artisan bowls. Find in almost any grocery store.
- Loving Hut | A vegan vietnamese cafe with 38 locations around the country. Not exactly "Thanksgiving," but still delicious.
- Equinox DC | (Not the gym). This amazing, (mostly) plant-based restaurant is open for Thanksgiving this year, and their menu is insanely good.
- FOR THE CHEESE PLATE: Kite Hill, Miyoko's Kitchen, Field Roast & Treeline.
OTHER VEGAN BITS AND BOBS
- Vegan Thanksgiving Cookbook // Amazon
- Cozy socks for the comatose Netflix and chill // L.L.Bean
- A festive tablecloth for last minute decor // Target
- The coziest post-Thanksgiving sweater // Madewell
- My favorite copper bowl for gourds, pumpkins, apples, or candy // Target
- Olive wood coasters (set of 4 for $19!) // West Elm
- A mini wine rack that's the perfect gift for your wine-loving host // Mintwood Home
- Well-priced Pinot Noir to guarantee good times all around // Total Wine
- And a mini tree to get you into the holiday spirit. // Target